Saturday, March 31, 2012

Nikko: Shinkyo Bridge

The Shinkyo Bridge is a red laquered wooden bridge over the Daiya River. The place marks the entrance to area where Nikko’s shrines and temples are located.
 As per legend, the famous Buddhist priest Shodo Shonin, crossed the Daiya river at this spot  on the backs of two huge serpents. Officially, the Shinkyo bridge belongs to the Futarasan shrine and its name translates to “Sacred Bridge”.

The original bridge was built in 1636 and its usage was restricted to general public. Only the Shogun and imperial messengers were allowed to cross the bridge. However the bridge was destroyed in a flood. The current structure was built in 1907 and even this was not open to public till the mid 1970’s. At present the bridge is open to public for an entrance fee of Yen 300.The bridge is listed among Japan's three finest bridges. 


Just across the road, is a stone marking Nikko’s inclusion in the Unesco World Heritage List.
 The road bridge which is open to vehicular traffic is located parallel to the Shinkyo Bridge.

Admission: 300 yen

Opening Hours: 8:00-17:00 hrs ( April-November) and 9:00-16:00 hrs ( December – March)

No comments:

Post a Comment